From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:18:44 +1000
For years, the only version of Prokofiev's 7th Symphony that I knew was
an old mono one by the Czech Philharmonic conducted by one N P Anosov
(this was in the days when Russian musicians' first names were, apparently,
a state secret, let alone patronymics), probably originally on Supraphon.
The ending was quiet and sombre, almost bitter.  Years later, I bought
Neeme Jarvi's version and was surprised to find that the ending I was
used to was followed by a short, jolly coda which is more in keeping
with the general mood of the last movement, but jarred nevertheless.

The notes say:

   "During rehearsals, however, he [Prokofiev) was prevailed on
   to accept that a more affirmative ending would be preferable.
   This he provided and is recorded here, although he kept the
   quieter ending so marked in the score as an alternative if
   desired."

I heard the end of Seiji Ozawa's version this morning on the radio
and he does not use the coda.  I wondered whether anyone but Jarvi has
used it in recordings.  I also wondered who it was who prevailed on
Prokofiev to add the coda.  The symphony was written after the infamous
1948 nonsense and it's a fair bet that he was leaned on by one of the
formalism-obsessed apparatchiks.  Anyone know who suggested the change?

Richard Pennycuick