From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 21:18:20 +0200
Hello.  It at least has been suggested in the guidelines for the list
that new subscribers can write an introductory message, and I wanted to do,
as I think this a good thing.  I am actually not a split new subscriber.
I was subscribed until 1,5 years or so back.  Since then I have been doing
other things, and had no time for the list, but at this time I wanted to
announce my returnth.  It is good to be back, I already see there are a
lot of new faces here since I was here last, and Daves nice page at
http://www.classical.net/ is growing and growing, all to my pleasure.

Not much of interest could be said about me.  I am a swedish student of
history and swedish, I have had a short life that would be uninteresting
for most of people as nothing special has happened to me so far.  One of
the interesting thins for me, however, is classical music, what I have
been listening frequently to in about 7 years.  It is difficult to say a
composer is me more close to heart then others, as I find most of composers
have their special fasciantion, but there is something special always with
beethoven and Wagner for me.  I am a member of the Swedish Wagner Society,
but I have not been to Bayreuth yet, therefore I am maybe not a real
wagnerian yet:-)

My approach to music is mainly emotional, although I am in some cases able
to take the intellectual challenge of "reading" a piece.

I want to learn read music and in general improve and deepen my listening.
One way for me to do this is to write reviews.  Now I don't get a better
listener of the writing procedure per se, but to write is a good way for
me to force myself to listen careful enough.  I have other reasons too,
for writing reviews, but this is my main musical argument.

I have written only a few reviews so far, and I am planning to post them in
this forum, as I am very interested in detailed feedbacks so I can improve
my listening, and I am fully convinced there are a lot of people here who
are able of giving good such.

My reviews are intended to have three main ingredients:

1.  A brief summary of the background to the composer and the work.  Who
was the composer? (if this is necessary to inform about).  When did the
composer compose this piece? Why? under which circumstances? etc etc.  For
this part I try to use different sources I can find.  I also use the liner
notes, and it is now possible that I have borrowed a very few well said
sentences from the liner notes of the CD for this part (just so noone need
to say:  "This you have stolen from the liner notes!", because I have, and
thats not the sort of feedback I am interested in.]

2.  A brief description of the work.  This will appear to be rather a
synopsis of the music than a regular analysis, as I may not be able to do
the latter.  This is very important for me, and one of the reasons to why
I write, so I am very interested in detailed feedback on this part.
Everything creative you think is worth to say.

3.  I try to say something of the quality of the performance and sound.

When you read this I have already posted the first review:  Naumanns opera
"Gustaf Vasa".  please don't hesitate to give me all creative feedback you
can - negative and positive - I'll be interested in all!  I need it!
Private mail is ok for this.

I am looking forward to participate with you all again!

Best,

Mats Norrman