From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:22:01 +1000
Don Satz, writing of the Magnard symphonies:

>Now to the available versions.  There is an older set on EMI performed
>by Plasson which I have not heard.

I bought it earlier this year and am pretty well satisfied with it.  It's
on 3 CDs with some short orchestral works as fillers.  I'm not sure if it's
still available.  I've heard only the Hyperion #1 and thought it on a par
with Plasson - as ever, a combination of the two would be a better version
still.

For years, the only Magnard I'd heard was the old Ansermet version of #3
which I still find more satisfying than the Plasson, although if I were in
the habit of wearing a hat, I'd take it off to Plasson for his advocacy of
French music in general.  I agree with Don that these are very rewarding
symphonies and I regret that Magnard, as another senseless casualty of war,
did not have the chance to compose more.

Richard Pennycuick