From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:54:04 -0400
Back in 1995, Teldec released 11 CD packages devoted to Karl Richter
recordings; it was titled the Karl Richter Edition.  One of them was a
2-cd set of Richter, on harpsichord, performing the Bach Partitas for
Harpsichord and the Goldberg Variations.

It isn't easy fitting these works on just two cd's.  Of course, Richter
uses relatively quick tempos and dumps many repeats.  His Goldberg
Variations comes in at under 45 minutes with the sixth Partita concluding
the first disc; then, there are five Partitas on the second disc(I know
my math).  Although every movement of the Partitas has its own track,
there's just four tracks for the Goldberg Variations with the arias owning
two tracks and the remaining two tracks each having 15 variations.  This
is not at all user friendly for the reviewer, but I shall overcome.

I'm at work and have listened once to the set(slow work day).  I am
most impressed.  The sound is fine for the 1950's, but the best news is
that Richter displays an exceptional grasp of rhythm, invests the music
with high excitement when called for, and I even hear some very favorable
elements I have not heard in other recordings.  Of course, this isn't the
100% concentration test, so I'll have more to say once I get the set home
and really dig into it.  The last Bach disc I listened to at work was
Kirkpatrick's WTC I; so far it seems to me that Richter makes Kirkpatrick
sound very ordinary.

I'm now at home, it's the evening, and I have a full belly.  After
listening to Richter's performances two more times with full concentration
and doing a little comparison listening, I feel even more strongly
concerning the merits of the Richter interpretations.

There is not one repeat observed in the Goldberg Variations.  Normally,
that would entail some significant drawbacks to listening pleasure.  But
Richter is so good that matters of repeats don't really matter.  The same
applies to tempo, volume, etc.  Richter hits a bulls-eye with the Aria and
every variation.  He gives each of them just what they need.  Just to take
a few examples, the heroism in variations 18 & 22 is exceptional, the flow
in variation 19 is mesmerizing, and the depth and emotional intensity in
variation 21 is at its highest levels.  Is Richter playful? Variation 23
finds him as youthful as I could want.  Joy and satisfaction permeate
variations 24 & 27.  His Black Pearl Variation is outstanding.  Richter
invests variation 26 with a whirlwind of activity.  The tension in
variation 28 is perfect, and variation 30 could not have a more triumphant
nature.

As good as Richter's Goldbergs are, his Partitas are even better.  First,
the sound is a little richer and more mellow.  Second, revelations abound
throughout the performances.  Leonhardt, Pinnock, Gould, and Tureck are
hard acts to beat in the Partitas, but Richter goes to the head of the
class.  The only movement that is not exceptional is the fourth Partita's
Allemande where I question Richter's quick tempo.  In the Goldberg
Variations, Richter may not be quite at the level of Gould or Tureck,
but he's very close.

Don's Conclusions:  This is easily an essential acquisition.  For less
than the price of a premium 2-cd set, you can have a wonderful version of
the Goldberg Variations *and* the best available set of the Partitas for
Harpsichord.  Yes, I did find out that this 2-cd set is available and still
in print.  That's great news for anyone interested in the highest levels of
Bach recorded performances.  Don't be stubborn and skeptical like I have
been; that lovely trait of mine has deprived me of a recording possessing
legendary qualities.  Grab it while it is on the market.

Don Satz