From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:07:56 -0600
Achim Breiling writes:

>I came across this disc recently: Artur Schnabel, Klaviersonate (1923)
>and Klavierstuck in 7 Satzen, played by Benedikt Koehlen on Montaigne.
>Anybody heard this disc or knows these works by Schnabel? What are they
>like (neo/late-romantic perhaps)?

Actually, no, his compositions tend to be highly chromatic and
expressionistic - some would say atonal - and have even been compared, in
their sound world, to those of Elliott Carter in that he also experimented
with varying and overlapping phrase lengths.

You can hear snippets of Geoffrey Tozer playing the piano sonata at

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000I9MG/classicalnetA/

Scott Morrison