From:
Martin Pitchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:01:15 -0400
You have forgotten my favorite pieces:  Symphony no.  5 and the operas
The fiery angel and War and peace.  Prokofiev is considered a 20th century
composer not Rach even if he is from this century.  Rach is considered as
a low profile composer (I am sorry about that) not Prokofiev.  Rach didn't
do something really new, Prokofiev did it.  Rach was a terrific pianist
without sense of humor, very tragic, very nostalgic...  Prokofiev's music
laughs, is so vivid so imaginative.  He's a devil!  You always can
recognize Prokofiev (even if you do not know the work), his stamp is
everywhere...  Rachmaninov (I like his music) is less personal...  Two
Sergeis, one very conventional, the other a great deal a big child!

Regards.

Martin Pitchon