From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:09:59 -0500
Steven Schwartz, in response to Judith Zaimont's welcome invitation to
discuss Milhaud, says:

>Also, it's hard to find works by Milhaud written past 1945, and the stuff
>that gets played all the time usually comes from the 1920s.

I'll second that.  Mostly it seems to be Creation du monde, a favorite work
of mine, to be sure, and one that almost "stands for" the 20's in music,
for me.  A quick check in Schwann Opus shows that there are a lot of his
works available on recordings, though.  I have just a few of them including
his Cello Concerto, from the thirties, and Le Boeuf sur le toit.  (1919).
He wrote several symphonies, but I have no idea what they are like.  What
are the characteristics of his later music?

Jim Tobin