From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:27:47 -0500
Patrik Enander wrote:

>Today I heard this mass for the fist time.  A beatiful performance in
>a church in Gothenburg.  The music was wonderful and sublime.  I wonder
>if anyone on the list has heard a recording of this piece? I know that a
>recording of it was Gramophone's "record of the year" but I'm sceptical
>since O'Donnell is using boys instead of female singer (I can't stand the
>boy sopranos on Leonhardt's S:t Mathews Passion).
>
>I'm also interested in facts about the copmoser

The recording I recommend is that by the Dale Warland Singers, led by
Dale Warland (natch), on American Choral Catalogue ACC 120.  There are
also recordings by Christophers and the Sixteen on Collins, O'Donnell (I
believe) on Hyperion, and I dimly recall one other, but the Warland is the
best I've heard.  In fact, the entire CD, titled Cathedral Classics, is one
of the best choral CDs I know.  Other works on the disc include Barber's
Agnus Dei, the Allegri Miserere, and the Howells Requiem.  I've reviewed
this CD in detail at www.classical.net and list member Jane Erb has also
done a fine note on the composer at the same site.

Steve Schwartz