From:
Barry Brenesal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:40:03 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I'm familiar with the NPR Guide, and it seems comparable to most other
>"guides" I have read.  I have two problems with this.  First, NPR has a
>lot of nerve putting out any classical music guide, given the paucity of
>classical music it delivers on the airwaves.  Second, there are dozens of
>persons on this List alone who could easily develop a guide better than
>most I've seen.

As you indicate, NPR's track record on dedication to classical music isn't
very strong; but we could argue forever the logistics of trying to build a
national public programming service largely without federal dollars, in
the USA, out of a classical library.  It was always a subject of some
contention and argument within the greater organization of NPR stations,
especially after Mankewicz took over the helm and effectively remade NPR in
the early 80's into a national public affairs outlet with little connection
and still less responsibility to local affiliates.

But this isn't about making or honoring music.  The NPR Guide is
about making money.  Because many people hear NPR doing its classical
programming, it's an easy sell.  That in turn provides NPR with a sum of
money.  More knowledgable people might put together such a guide, but
without the name recognition of NPR, it likely wouldn't sell very well.

Barry Brenesal