From:
Alan Chatterton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:02:04 +0200
Constance Shacklock wrote:

>Are any other Great Composers associated with our equally Great
>British Seaside Resorts?

Seaside Resorts I don't remember, but there is an account of Liszt's
tours of Britain with an up-market Victorian concert party in the 1840s.
He lost his spectacles in Newcastle under Lyme, took a slow train to
Wakefield and arrived in such a rage that he walked two miles to the
hotel, a Sheffield cab delivered the artists to the Methodist chapel
instead of the Music Hall and Liszt organised a visit to a superior
brothel in Cork.  Annees de pelerinage have never sounded the same.

Alan Chatterton