From:
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 02:07:44 -0500
Jeffrey Hall wrote:

>Dear CM fans, The first track on the soundtrack to the new motion picture
>The Pianist is labeled: Nocturne for piano in C sharp minor, KK Anh.Ia/6
>(doubtful) I've heard a fragment and liked it very much.  Does anyone
>have any more information about it.  What are the odds that Chopin wrote
>it?  Thanks.

Don't bet on it.

The autograph is unknown; the work was published in 1850s by Buttner in
St.  Petersburg.  The Buttner edition was reprinted in 1949 by Muzgiz
in USSR.  Then around 1958 a little known Polish pianist prepared a
manuscript entitled "Nocturne oublie" which she claimed was a copy of
another St.  Petersburg edition, by the publisher Gutheil, supposedly
in her possession.  By the time the Chopin cataloguer Krystyna Kobylanska
(KK) planned to inquire about this the pianist was already deceased and
no further information could be obtained from any sources.  (The 1949
edition was apparently unknown to Kobylanska.) No copies of the supposed
Gutheil edition could be found.  The pianist gave the manuscript to the
leading Polish musical publisher, but the publisher and other musicologists
expressed serious doubts about Chopin's authorship.

It's not very likely that a St.  Petersburg publisher would get hold and
publish a genuine work by Chopin in 1850s.  Also, the information supplied
by the Polish pianist is also suspect, since no copy of the edition she
supposedly owned can be traced.  And since there is no document linking
the work to Chopin, the authenticity of this nocturne is very doubtful.

-Margaret Mikulska