From:
Meylan-Meertens Nadine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 08:54:58 +0100
Lately, I found some very interesting music by Peteris Vasks, a
lettonian composer.  For the fans of orchestral music, I would recommend
his Cantabile per archi, starting quite conventionally, and progressively
degenerating into a violent chaos, as well as his symphony for strings
called Voices (Voices of silence-Voices of life-Voices of conscience).
I find his orchestral music quite interesting, but his chamber music
reaches such beauty and strongness of feelings, that I cannot listen to
his orchestral music anymore after hearing the quartets.  He has written
3 of them (played by the Miami S.Q., BMG conifer), each one being a small
jewel, and the booklet tells that he is writing a fourth one right now.
I think I prefer the third quartet, but I don't know them long enough to
be sure.  It is really worth the try!

Nadine