From:
Leslie Kinton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:47:03 -0500
Laurence Sherwood writes:

>I am impressed when a noted pianist like Leslie Kinton makes the following
>unequivocal statement:
>
>>Beyond doubt, Beethoven op. 106 (the "Hammerklavier") is technically,
>>intellectually, musically, in every way, the most difficult masterpiece
>>written for the piano. Nothing else even comes close.   ...
>
>According to the liner notes on the CD [of Marc-Andre Hamelin], the
>late reknowned critic Harold Shonberg [sic.] claimed Godowsky's studies
>were probably the most impossibly difficult things ever written for the
>piano. These are fantastic exercises that push piano technique to heights
>undreamed of even by Liszt.

I would like to thank Laurence for his reply to my letter.  Please note
that I said Beethoven's Hamerklavier was the most difficult *masterpiece*
written for the piano, and that the fearsome difficulties are also due to
the intellectual and musical qualities.  The word "mastepiece" is not one
I would use to catagorize the Godowsky Etudes, certainly not in the same
way the word applies to the Beethoven.  In fact, there are some that
consider his "elaborations" of the Chopin *masterpieces* to be the
equivalent of dressing Michaelangelo's David in a feather boa, or turning
Notre Dame into a theme park ("Hey folks, come on right up, ten bucks to
bungee jump from the buttresses...."); i.  e., a bunch of cheap thrills
where the only thing of substance is to be found in the original.

By the way, I have nothing against concert paraphrases per se; for
instance, the Schultz-Evler "Blue Danube" is a virtuosic commentary on the
original, and stands on its own considerable merit, as do many of Liszt's
arrangements and paraphrases.  In all of these cases, the arrangements
celebrate the greatness of the original works, and do not use them as
platforms for cheap gymnastics (again, not gymnastics per se, but *cheap*
gymnastics).

If one defines technique as "the physical means one employs to create the
desired sound", then I still say the Hammerkavier is the most difficult
piece technically as well.

Cordially,

Leslie Kinton
Piano Faculty, The Glenn Gould Professional School, The Royal Conservatory
of Music, Toronto.
Anagnoson and Kinton piano duo website: http://www.pianoduo.com