From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:13:29 PST
Mimi asked about Andreas Scholl recordings other than the recent Herreweghe
St. Matthew Passion.  Scholl has recorded frequently over the past few
years.  I'm familiar with and highly recommend another St. Matthew Passion
on Channel Classics, a fairly new Decca release named "Heroes" where he
sings Handel, Hasse, Gluck, and Mozart, his last Harmonia Mundi release
devoted to Handel arias, German Baroque arias on Harmonia Mundi, Graun's
Cleopatra on HM, Cladara's Maddelena on HM, McCreesh's Solomon on Archiv,
Herreweghe's Mass in B minor on HM, Coin's Bach cantatas on Astree, and a
few Herreweghe Bach cantata discs on HM.  Scholl has also recorded Vivaldi,
Schutz, Monteverdi, and is one of the "Three Countertenors" on the same
named disc.

I agree with Mimi that Scholl is a vocal treasure.  I think he's about the
best countertenor currently performing and always adds measureably to my
enjoyment of a baroque work.

Don Satz