From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 11:58:34 -0400
Hrm- hadn't heard about this arrangement, described at:

   http://www.unheardbeethoven.org/seldom/nocatalog.html

...as an anonymous arrangement for string quintet probably by Beethoven or
Ries and recorded by l'Archibudelli on a Sony CD.

About Ries(1784-1838, though one site claims 1747 for his birthdate?...)
himself I can say that he was a piano pupil of Beethoven and a good
composer, who wrote 8 symphonies (cpo has recorded 4 of them and may be in
the process of recording the others; I've seen score or parts to symphonies
1, 2, 4 and 8 and an arrangement by one of Ries' relatives of symphony 5)
and I think about two dozen string quartets, a similar number of piano
sonatas, much other chamber music (of which a clarinet trio, flute trio,
and flute quintet have been recorded as well as one string quartet, the
three cello sonatas (some of them several times each beginning(?) with a
Telefunken LP of the sonatas in C and A opp.  20 and 21, and several violin
sonatas as well) and a number of piano concerti (of which I think only one,
#3 in c#, has been recorded, once- perhaps twice?) I like most of what I've
heard of his music (the 3rd piano concerto least so, perhaps, but that's
grown on me a bit in rehearing, and the A major cello sonata seems the best
thing I've heard of his so far) and am mildly pleased at the effort being
put forward on his behalf.  (KING-FM played his 1st symphony a day or two
ago, in the cpo recording which I haven't heard; had to miss it, since I'm
not presently on a machine with RealPlayer nor near Seattle.)

Sorry I can't be more help about the Kreutzer arrangement.

Not to be confused with his relative Franz Ries, who wrote a large number
of violin virtuoso compositions. (And other works?)

-Eric Schissel