From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:35:38 +0000
Leslie Kinton writes:

>The problem, as Aaron Copland so eloquently put it, is that most
>composers write for two audiences: 1) their colleagues, 2) the general
>concert-going public.

Let's not forget a third reason which is conceptually the best:  to satisfy
one's artistic and creative drive.

If I remember correctly, Kevin Sutton originated this thread with a
condemnation of the type of music that Oliveros produces.  I usually agree
with Kevin's views, but not this time.  You can't listen to the music of
folks like Oliveros and expect to hear traditional harmony, melody, and
development.  One's ears must be ready for an entirely different musical
experience dependent on flow, random selection, blocks of sound, etc.  Of
course, this 'new' music is not initially familiar to us, but generations
in the future may well find it a common style easy to understand.

I am *not* a fan of Oliveros, but I applaud her creativity and search for
new means of musical enrichment.  Kevin, most others, and even I do not
purchase more than a minimal amount of 'new' music.  However, I maintain
that those who do enjoy it have as much right as the rest of us to be able
to obtain the music they prefer.  It's a big world with a wide variety of
musical tastes that need to be satisfied.

Don Satz