From:
David Rothstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:35:33 +0200
Mike Leghorn:

>I heard a recording of the 1st movement of Dvorak's "New World",
>conducted by Istvan Kertesz.  I felt like I was listening to the piece for
>the first time.  I was struck by how lyrical and flowing the music sounded
>compared to the two recordings I have, which are Solti and Guilini (both
>with CSO).

Regarding Istvan Kertesz (who actually tragically drowned here in Israel),
his recording of Dvorak's 3rd symphony with the LSO was actually my first
purchase, over 20 years ago, of a Dvorak symphony below the number 7.
To remind those who relate only to numbers 7-9, Dvorak composed other
delightful symphonies.  I recently bought the full package of Dvorak's
symphonies with Kubelik/BPO (a toss up between this and Kertesz/LSO) and
enjoyed immensely numbers 4,5,6.

As I mentioned above, I already knew the 3rd and for those who are not
acquainted with this symphony, I refer you to the incredible and brilliant
funeral march which appears after the initial adagio molto in the 2nd and
middle (3 movement symphony) slow movement.

David Rothstein
Israel