From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:48:13 -0400
Don said that...

>Having a collection 90% devoted to Deutche Grammophon likely insures
>high-quality recordings.  However, such a high percentage is not viable
>when one acquires hundreds of discs each year.

The reason for this last is the label's high price.  At least as
importantly, to my mind and no doubt others', is that it would also be
a relatively narrow collection.  It's why, further on his point, I
wouldn't be loyal to this or any other label that isn't entirely
encyclopedic.

Skip that: which one is, and why be loyal at all?  My 'loyalties' or
fixations are about the composers I come to admire or enjoy.  After that,
it's a pursuit of soloists and conductors which pushes my musical horizons
farther.  I know completists who relentlessly pursue recordings by
Hamelin, or Argerich, say -- or, sometimes, a special work.  For me,
that kind of pursuit's usually far less obsessive than my hunger for
more by a given composer.

Bert Bailey