From:
Billy Kitson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 07:09:25 +1100
A FAR FETCHED COMPARISON:- Sibelius's life was twice+ WAM's; but he seems
to have written Zero in the latter part?.

Bill(Y).

 [For all intents and purposes, Sibelius stopped composing at age 64
 though he lived on another 28 years (died 3 months shy of his 92nd
 birthday).  He really didn't stop composing - he continnued to try -
 but could seem to accomplish anything which pleased him enough to
 follow through; probably the result of a combination of his long-term
 alcoholism and age killing his inspiration.  I think the composer who's
 most interesting in comparison to Mozart is Rossini.  He lived well
 past his 76th birthday, but stopped composing opera entirely at the
 age of 37, chosing a well-funded retirement writing the occasional
 small-scale sacred or secular vocal work.  His operas made him wealthy
 man, and it seemed to significantly stifle his drive to create, perhaps
 just in time as hs creative pace was killing him.  If Mozart had seen
 the same success with his operas, I wonder if he would have continued
 to work as relentlessly as he did toward the end.  -Dave]