From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:49:30 +0100
Remember some months ago, it was announced that in the Netherlands in
the Heerlen railway station the city council decided to have speakers
installed which would give off classical music to scare away any unwanted
dwellers......

Well, we've had it for a few days now, and during my lunch hour break I
investigated which music most effectively drove the addicts away.  Here's
what I made out so far (no kidding):

   1.  Strauss, The beautiful Danube, driving them straight out.  It
       must have been Andre Rieu performing.

   2.  Bach:  third Brandenburg Concerto, invoking from one of the
       regularly seen tramps the remark "Do they think we are hard-runners
       then?" Surely, going by this remark, it must have been Gardiner's
       recording.

   3.  Mozart:  23 rd pianoconcerto, middle movement, causing a cue at
       the stairs.  People stopping.

   4.  Vivaldi:  Guess what piece.  Causing a noticeable rising in the
       Christmas shopping activity.

I'll let you know what happens when they'll start playing Varese and Harba.

greetings,
Jos