From:
Gil Elad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:21:08 +0300
David Runnion wrote:

>Kim Patrick Clow wrote:
>
>>I was wondering if any members of the list do shoutcasts of their private
>>mp3 collection or their CDs?
>
>Could you explain a bit more what this is? Is it sort of a Napster-type
>thing whereby anyone can listen to the files you have on your computer?

Shoutcast is an application, developed by Nullsoft (the people that brought
you Winamp) that streams audio over the internet.  It's exactly the same
technology that internet radio stations use.  Broadcating live music over
the internet, in realtime, is possible, but very tricky to set up, and
requires great resources from the computer.  It simply means encoding and
broadcasting the performance on the fly.  It's practically impossible even
with a very powerful home computer.

By the way, the legal status of internet radio is not yet clear.
see http://www.saveinternetradio.org/

keep in mind that all radio stations, internet or otherwise, have to pay
royalties to the copyright owners (record companies) in order to legaly
broadcast copyrighted music.

Gil Elad <[log in to unmask]>