From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:55:28 +0100
Donald Satz:

>Those are the types of comments, sentiments, and goals that lead me
>to believe that there is a serious attempt to redefine the classical
>music landscape.  I also don't mind saying that I think poorly of it.
>Further, I notice that these attempts are now connected to terms such as
>"programming genius" and "brilliant example" to convey the notion that the
>best people are going in this direction.  Does any of this remind you of
>the Fountainhead?

I agree with you, I think very poorly of these initiatives.  There is of
course nothing wrong with bringing the best to people, but don't spill the
water so that the bucket is half empty when you reach the people.  Frankly,
I think that there is something very "paternalistic"in the notion that you
have to "bring" something to the people, to redefine something in order to
reach out.  I am very confident that what is really good (and who am I to
be more specific) will stand in time and will call people TO it.  And if it
stops calling and interesting people, then just give it back its deserved
obliviation.

Obviously, suggesting that the "best" people are going in this direction
is just a rat capitalistic trick.  The "best" people are not, by some
conspiracy or consensus going in the same direction, they are all over
the place, which is a good deal of the fun of music.  I'll say no more
about that.

My girlfriend, who is a newcomer to classical music (and wonders what
the heck I spend so much hours on this list) came with me to the complete
Peter Eotvos opera Tri Sestri.  When it started, I thought, what the hell
am I doing, she'll be bored, confuse and annoyed with strange modern sounds
that just won't relate.  But then the wonderful thing happens:  They indeed
DON'T relate, but all the same she is perfectly capable of articulating her
thoughts and feelings, and speaks of a great experience.  Apart from the
fact that I think my girlfriend is great, it may also be concluded that
people with a good pair of ears and something between them will be able to
make up their minds themselves.  You don't have to find new ways to reach
them, just say what you have to say and we'll see if somebody likes it.
If not, too bad.

Last week, I saw an art program on the BBC about Winchester Cathedral, a
fine gothic wonder, which is recently being filled up with all kinds of
modern art.  When asked, why they choose to confront (and perhaps provoke)
visitors with modern art in this surrounding, the Dean replied something
like:  we are not willing to become a museum.  We expose these works just
because we like them and by "arousing" these feelings by exposing them, we
achieve that we are not just a museum.

greetings, Jos