From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:41:08 -0800
Denis Fodor ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>There's a problem when the program tries to please both the Hatfields and
>the McCoys.  Webern, sandwiched between Mendelssohn and Haydn, usually
>works because Anton is mercifully succinct.

Funny you should mention that.  On Sunday and Monday the Victoria
Symphony's latest programme will be

        Webern: Symphony Op.21
        Schumann: Konzertstuck for 4 horns
        Brahms: Symphony No.4

Given that Victoria audiences can tend to be on the conservative side -
for the Symphony anyway:  I once overheard a women complaining that "it was
just too modern for me" about Nielsen's flute concerto.  We'll see how the
Webern fares (written around the same time as the Nielsen IIRC).

I should, in defence of my hometown, point out that there is a variety of
audiences, and that a few years ago a performance of Boulez' Le Mateau sans
Maitre sold out.

Deryk Barker