From:
Paul Silverthorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:36:16 EDT
Walter Meyer wrote:

>...  I know that there's at least one arrangement of the work for
>string quarter by Roy Harris.  Are there others?  Do the players in
>those arrangements need to switch instruments as described in the novel
>I just finished?

This is one of the bits of the book that I found unconvincing as I
doubt it would be necessary just for three or four notes to get a special
instrument.  Most violas will sound perfectly OK with the C string tuned
down to A within an ensemble, I recently played a modern solo work that
required the C string to be tuned to G. By using a heavier string than
usual I was able to get a very good sound. In performing the Art of Fugue
it would perhaps be useful to have two instruments on stage, one with
normal tuning and one with the lower tuning for the movements that needed
it.  I'm not familiar with any of the arrangements for quartet, but I
imagine that some transposition or swapping of parts will have been done
to make it fit.

Paul Silverthorne