From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 09:31:23 +0100
Deryk Barker [[log in to unmask]] recommends:

>This one's easy:  L'Archubudelli & the Smithsonian Chamber Players,
>playing 8 Strads on Sony.  ...  Not only that, it is c/w the Octet by
>Niels Gade, which may not be the supreme masterpiece the Mendelssohn is,
>but it's still a wonderful piece.

I don't know anything about recordings of Mendelssohns Oktett, still I
think this a witty recommendation, at least for me.  The reason is that I
love the music of Niels W Gade passionately [and I DO consider him Nielsens
like in everything (except maybe treating the symphonic form)], and if I
get disappointed with the Mendelssohn as performance, I can always enjoy
a piece of Gades splendid music.

Mats Norrman