From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 19:26:10 -0500
Bernard Chasan wrote, and added later:

>I cannot think of more than a handful of composers who are in the same
>class as Schubert.  Talley up the piano sonatas, the two great trios,
>the quartets, the eighth and ninth symphonies AND the songs- those
>incredible songs!

>I omitted some important works: the Octet, the Cello Quintet, and several
>great masses.  So if Mike does ask for anything more, here is more.

Although I love the piano sontatas, I get the feeling that they aren't
"finished" (i.e.  polished) like Beethoven's Sonatas.  He seemed to be
experimenting a little (which is great!).  One general criticism I have
is how he often used repeated block chords for the texture.  It has its
place, but I think it might be overused.  One of his sonatas reminds me
very much of the Hammerklavier (I forget which one).  Perhaps Schubert
had heard and/or became familiar with the piece, and incorporated some
of its ideas into his own sonata, perhaps as an exercise.

Having said this much (and probably getting myself into a lot of trouble)
I've heard some pieces by Schubert that moved and amazed me.  One of my
favorite CDs is Schubert Songs with Fischer-Dieskau and Brendel (Philips
411 421-2).  To me, it's music at its best.  I couldn't possibly ask for
more.  I still feel that Scubert hadn't fully realized his potential.
If Beethoven had died at 31, we wouldn't have his 3rd through 9th
Symphonies, his 4rth & 5th piano concertos, his middle and late String
Quartets and Piano Sonatas.

Mike