From:
Milan Gowin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:43:15 -0700
Bernard Chasan wrote:

>It is a source of wonderment to me that Mozart is bashed so much more
>frequently than any other master.  It is as if the old eighteenth century
>drawing room cliches are being reinstated, and I have to wonder if the
>bashers know the operas, or the viola quintets, or the piano concerti.
>If you don't know these parts of Mozart's output (among many others) you
>don't know Mozart.

I agree with Dr. Chasan, and I recall that this thread did come up last
year sometime. And at that time, I also put my two cents in and I will
again, and say the same thing. For those who think that somehow Mozart's
music is trival or uninspired, I  just think of (amongst other
compositions), the Kyrie from his "Great" Mass in C-minor, K.427(???).
I think that alone has assured Mozart immortality and greatness, and that
is only one of many great and profound pieces of music that he wrote,
including what Prof.  Chasan mentioned above.

Milan Gowin
http://www.ualberta.ca/~mgowin