From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:38:02 -0700
Scott Morrison wrote:

Deryk Barker replied to John J Kregarman:

>>>Then a few days ago I read a review of a Naxos disk of 17, 18,
>>>and 21 which described the sound as awful!  "These are phone booth
>>>acoustics", noted the reviewer.  So what to do?
>
>I don't know who the reviewer was, but I know that I have reviewed this
>disc and disagree with that reviewer.  My own opinion is that the sound
>is actually pretty good for its age - 1932 - and a good balance has been
>struck between rich piano sound and noise suppression, with emphasis on
>the former and minimizing the latter.  Mark Obert-Thorn, whom I admire
>a great deal, was the transfer engineer.

Indeed.  And I was listening to the Naxos Josef Lhevinne disc last night
(Warfd Marston) and was truly impressed by the sound - mainly 1930s but
even the early acoustics sounded good.

>Anyone interested in my review - and I hope I don't come across as a
>'web bozo' - is at

Scott, of course not.  WBs are the kind of people who write things like
"I've heard three different recordings of Beethoven's 5th and this is
easily the greatest ever made".  Or thinks that anything recorded in
mono has "phone booth acoustics".

>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001AGOMC/classicalnetA/

And having just read your review, I'm certain you're not a WB. Good one.

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>