From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 21:09:47 -0600
Philip Peters wrote:

>>Homophony is when all the voices (or instruments, or voices and
>>instruments) sing (or play, or sing and play) the same note (or the octave)
>>at the same moment.  ...
>
>*the same note or the octave*?? I thought this was *unisono*.  As long as
>the *rhythm* is the same for each *voice* it's *homophony* or so I've
>always been led to believe.
>
>Oh well, I'm probably messing up...

No you're not!  Homophony does not occur at the unison or the octave.  The
term is related to multipart writing and means (again) that all voices move
at the same time.  It is, however, common to see homophony and polyphony in
the same work.  For example, the text "Et homo factus est" from the Credo
of the Mass is often set homophonically for purposes of emphasis.

Kevin Sutton