From:
Renato Vinicius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:57:24 -0200
Wes Crone to Rimas:

>I love the 4 seasons (and the entire Op.8 which has some great works
>besides the famous four) but have not found much other Vivaldi music
>I like.  I started collecting the Vivaldi works and was continually
>disappointed by each one.  Op.3 L' Estro Armonico was supposed to be
>good...BLAH!!  Op.4 La Stravaganza considered by many to be a masterpiece
>collection...BLAH!
>
>Bottom line: I don't think you'll find anything from Vivaldi that will
>interest you any more than the 4 seasons.

Some music have the strange ability to fit on our lightest imagination,
most simple thoughts and feelings and with a so simple and pure signifying
that even the dumbest miserable or the youngest child can recognize it in
his feelings, identifying it's essence.  They are very easy music, and
usually go to the great public taste, unable to appreciate less evident
thoughts.  This does not make smaller their value; by the opposite, it
increases on the composer ability to "communicate" and adds value on sales
of companies that use them for selling things (soaps, clothes, cars,
hamburgers...) We could call them "Disney Music".  (Please, I love these
musics AND W.  Disney!!!!).  Among them, as you migh have understood what
I am talking about, are the Vivaldi's 4 Seasons (Spring first), Mozart's
Eine Kleine Natchmusik, Ravel's Bolero, Beethoven's Ninth (poor...) and
others you know...  Except for the ninth, all most all of them are too
easy.  The Four Seasons, for exemplo, is Beautifull, but is just "kute" or
"Pretty", comparing with the La Stravaganza of the same author.  This last
one is a so special music that even great performers use to "kill" it when
taking it as "easy job" (the same happens with Mozart).  That - I believe
- explains why Wes Crone (showing to have sensible ears and taste) didn't
like it.  There are musics that can only be heard on Really GREAT!!!
performances.  There is only one recording that I have heard that "gets"
that music, reveling all it beautty, and is the one with Felix Ayo.  The
one with Menuhim, for example, that is a great performer is a SH_T.  By the
way, Any amateur can make Four Seasons get good.  It's just play it in the
tune!  "Disney Music"...  Fur Elise too...  come on...  Just play it, in
the tempo, and it's great!!!  And any one love it...!

Well Rimas, the Four Seasons is the only "Disney Music" I know of Vivaldi...

Renato Vinicius