From:
Alan Chatterton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 2004 18:14:24 +0200
Richard wrote:

>Some Melodiya LPs had short playing times - I have at least one that
>clocks in at under 30 minutes - so I'm not sure whether Alan's LP contains
>only the viola sonata.  I have the same artists in the viola sonata on
>what was originally an HMV-Melodiya LP which also contained the violin
>sonata .....

Thanks to all who replied.  Yes Richard, the LP holds only the DS viola
sonata, 29 minutes of wonderful music, blessed as Peter says.  I must
thank you for the Onno van Rijn site which is new to me.

I understand from another source that the Hulme catalog, 3rd edition,
lists the recording date as Dec 1975.  The LP reissue on Columbia Melodiya
M 35109, lists 1975 on both the label and the jacket.  The work was only
finished in July 1975 and the proofs corrected by DS on 4 and 5 August
1975.

I am also listening to a Bashmet/Richter 1982 version and a Tabea
Zimmerman/Tzimon Barto performance from a 1992 Paris concert.

Alan Chatterton