From:
Ray Stamford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:02:36 +0000
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>Anybody know of an available CD for Herbert Howells's Piano Quartet? Lyrita
>recorded it on LP, but I haven't seen a re-issue.

The Piano Quartet in A min.  Op.21 had two recordings on CD (up to
June 1998):  The Holywell Ensemble on British Music Label (Forties
distributors) BML 003 and The Lyric Quartet on Metier Sound and Vision
(Priory distributors) MSVCD92003.  Both of these are accompanied by other
works.  Talking of Howells does anyone on the list have any recommendations
for Hymnus Paradisi?

As a further thought did anyone go out and buy the Symphony No.3 by Ropartz
after it was identified in a quiz.  I did and the version is of excellent
quality, though the choir diction is not clear in places.  It is also at
medium price.  I am willing to bet (not a lot) that not too many people
have heard of Ropartz.  So a big thank you to the person who identified the
work for enlarging my repertoire.  This version is on EMI Classics 0777 7
64689 2 1.  Orchestre du Capitole de Toulouse under Plasson.  You won't be
disappointed.

Ray Stamford, Cambridge, England.