From:
Achim Breiling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:33:35 +0200
It is simply not true that only people who spent *years of ear training and
classes in harmony and counterpoint* or * a year or two in a conservatory*
can or do appreciate atonal/dodecaphonic/contemporary or whatever music
that Mr.  Simmons does not like.  Nobody needs to have a score in front of
him to listen to Bergs violin concerto, nobody needs higher education in
music to like Boulez' piano sonatas.  At least I do not!  The last music
lessons I had in school - and I was pretty bored of them - nevertheless I
believe that I get the messages of those composers who apperently only bore
Mr.  Simmons or make him vomit.  For me listening to them is no penance,
its joy and interesting!

Achim Breiling (thinking of his place in universe)