From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 08:35:32 PST
I was thinking of acquiring a new ASV cd of Karl Goldmark's string chamber
works (quartet opus 18, quintet, opus 9) performed by the Dimension String
Quartet (former members of the Fifth Dimension).  I checked out a few web
sites to see if there were any other recordings of Goldmark's string
chamber works - one on Hungaroton was listed.  However, his 'Rustic
Wedding" Symphony and Symphony no.  2 had multiple listings.  I also looked
through Dave's archives but found very little on Goldmark.  But, someone
had mentioned that Goldmark was a "hyper-romantic" composer; that concerns
me some.

So, I have three questions.  First, which recordings would you recommend
for the Goldmark symphonies.  Second, are Goldmark's compositions very
syrupy? Third, any thoughts on why Goldmark is relatively obscure like me?

Don Satz