From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:46:04 -0800
Dave Lampson ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>... In the past I have transposed music for various instruments (ex.,
>arranging piano scores for instrumental ensembles), and I'm aware of
>the mechanics inviolved.

Without actually answering your question, I can tell you that some
composers (Schoenberg being a prime example) decided to do away with
transposing instruments, and write all the wind, brass parts at pitch.

Apparently orchestral musicians simply hated it.

I recall, belatedly, that at least part of the reason for transposing
instruments is because it makes it easier to switch between say a Bb and
an A, or D or Eb clarinet.  The note which is scored as C, for instance,
sounds as Bb on the Bb clarinet (I think this is the right way roung),
as D on the D clarinet, etc, but is fingered *the same way* on each
instrument.

I gather from the Oxford Dictionary of Music that many clarinetists today
use the Bb for both Bb and A parts, transposing mentally.  I trust they
wouldn't try and play Eb parts this way, as the different instruments have
different charecters and a fine orchestrator (Mahler for instance, who was
very fond of the Eb clarinet) will exploit the fact.

Deryk Barker