From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:22:59 -0400
Deryk Barker writes:

>You could try reading Cage himself on the subject.  His aim in 4:33 was to
>make people listen to the sounds around them; his thesis was that music is
>all around us, but we don't listen to it.

I've just made a point of listening to the sounds around me. The only sound
even vaguely suggestive to me of music was the far-away hoohaw of a
(Munich) police car klaxon. Small wonder, then, that my reaction to 4'33"
is of the same order: background noise. There's about as much justification
to pay admission for that as there would be to pay for a breath of air
(unless immured in a pyramid--in which case I might even settle for a
Cage).

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]