From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 20:57:37 -0500
Jan Anton Brouwer:

>Now my question.  Last week I joined a concert by the Concertgebouw
>Orchestra.  They played Ives Orchestral set no. 1 (Three places in New
>England).  It's a wonderful piece, which I never heard before.  You can
>imagine I want to buy a recording of it.  I know MTT recorded it with
>the San Francisco.  Do list members know this recording?  Is it good or
>do you know other, better cd's?

This is a favorite piece of mine, and Michael Tilson Thomas plays Ives
very well, though it is his old Boston Symphony recording of Three Places
in New England that I have, recorded decades ago.  I am sure you would
be happy with either recording by MTT.

If you like this, you might want to get William Schuman's New England
Triptych, which has some things in common with the Ives.  Howard Hanson's
recording is still (again?) available.  Also Ives' Third and Fourth
symphonies.

Jim Tobin