From:
Laurence Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:55:52 -0400
Kevin Sutton inquired about the Panocha String Quartet.  By name, they
are: Jiri Panocha - 1st violin, Pavel Zejfart - 2nd violin, Miroslav
Sehnoutka - viola, Jaroslav Kulhan - cello

Of the several recordings of Smetana's first string quartet that I have
heard, their's is my runaway favorite (there may be some imprinting at
work there).  This famous quartet is paired with the less well known
quartet no. 2 on a Supraphon recording:
http://www.musicabona.com/catalog1/SU3450-2.html).

Their quartet was formed in an exhilarating year of Czech history: 1968.

Larry