From:
Jan Templiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 19:18:23 +0200
John Dalmas:

>>No, not the label, but the word, as in Op 14 bis.  I haven't been able
>>to track down any reference to this, but by finding a few examples of its
>>use, ...
>
>Well, in German, "bis" means "to date." In other words.this is the opus
>number assigned to date (implying a change in the numbering may occur at a
>later date).

Now I have to jump in.  "bis" in German indeed can mean "to date", but
the conclusion that "op x bis" has something to do with date is quite
wrong.  "Bis" is used in the sense of describing a stretch of time (or
something else).  14 bis 16 = 14 thru 16.  Thus, op.  14 bis would be
incomplete in German, as it lacks the 'target'.  However, I found 'bis'
in my French dictionary:  It means in this case the same as "a" does.
op. 14 bis = op. 14 a It also means 'da capo' in its various forms.

"Jan Templiner" <[log in to unmask]>