From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 18:50:06 -0500
Steve Schwartz writes:

>The rise of recorded technology, however, has (with certain other
>things)led to, in my opinion, an abnormal and unhealthy situation.  The
>presence of recordings has given rise to almost an exclusive interest in
>the past among the minority who listen to classical music and little to
>none in new music among the minority of the minority who even encounter new
>music.

Perhaps so - but on the other hand, the rise of recorded technology
makes everything available.  including old music which is not often
heard.In fact when you get right down to it, "the" repertory is very,
very narrow.  How often do you get to hear a Schubert Quartet live? Or
a Beethoven string trio? Or even an early Haydn Symphony? And there ARE
contemporary recordings after all.  You want to hear Norgard's Third
Symphony? Don't hold your breath waiting for it to come to a concert hall
near you.  Get one of the 2 or 3 cds instead.  As for the size of the
classical music audience, I am reminded of a remark made by the novelist
Phillip Roth a few years ago.  He estimated that the American public for
serious new fiction consisted of about 60,000 people.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University