From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 20:40:29 -0400
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Ramon Khalona wrote:
>
>>I do not know if a live recording with New Zealand or with the RSNO
>>exists.  In fact, he probably did not perform it with those orchestras.
>>The non-existence of a Haas B8 (1890) with Tintner (the edition he
>>preferred) is very sad indeed.
>
>I shall email Radio NZ and ask.  They have some surprising stuff in their
>archives. Why suppose Tintner never performed the Haas B8 with these
>bands?

I think he wanted to, but did not have the opportunity.  Since your last
post I have been in touch with Ms. Tanya Tintner (the late conductor's
wife) who has kindly allowed me to post the following from a private
exchange.

   Ramon Khalona wrote:

   >I do not know if a live recording with New Zealand or with the
   >RSNO exists.  In fact, he probably did not perform it with those
   >orchestras.

   That is correct. I tried VERY hard to get RSNO to give him a
   concert with B8 Haas, and then Naxos could record it, as that
   is what Georg wanted to do next (symphony-wise anyway), but
   somehow they never came up with a date.

   >The non-existence of a Haas B8 (1890) with Tintner (the edition
   >he preferred) is very sad indeed.

   He did it with the McGill University Orchestra a few years ago.
   It seems they recorded it and lost it, or a student took it, or
   who the hell knows.  I can't help thinking he did it somewhere
   in Australia, but I can't think where (it was in my time) but
   in any case if he did, there is no recording.

   Of the three versions, he preferred Haas.

   David Harbin Wrote:

   >I shall email Radio NZ and ask.  They have some surprising stuff
   >in their archives. Why suppose Tintner never performed the Haas
   >B8 with these bands?

   Georg did only B4 with the NZSO in concert, but Radio NZ does
   not have it, at least I have not been able to locate it. And
   their cataloguing is pretty good. He did almost no concerts with
   the NZSO, in fact, conducting ANYTHING.

   He did a little more Bruckner with ABC orchestras in Australia,
   but there are no recordings of any of them.

   Tanya Tintner

Ramon Khalona