From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:00:48 -0500
Mike McLaughlin wrote:

>What do you think about classical music being used in commercials?
>On one hand, it offends me to hear some of the best music ever composed
>turned into commercial jingles to sell soft drinks, makeup and electronics.
>On the other, I think that it can help introduce more people to the
>music, and that if the classical meme has any chance of surviving in the
>modern world, maybe this is the only way.  I also think that, while it
>may introduce people to the music, it may also cheapen their view of it.

In a slightly different context...William Tell Overture and the Lone
Ranger...I am reminded of a freshman composition student I once had. We
were discussing different forms and I suggested he listen to Also Sprach.
He replied, "why would I want to listen to that, it is only about two
minutes long." He had heard it on numerous commercials.

There is music that was written and is written to be a background for
whatever. Other music was written for listening. Sometimes we supply our
own "images" or narrative to what we listen to. I believe there is an
art to listening and that listening to music on its own terms is the
most rewarding.

Does it cheapen the music...for me, good music will retain my respect...
on the other hand, I am saddened when I hear Copland's music used in a
commercial. Somehow, I sense he would be saddened to find his music being
used in a commercial...but then, even when he was alive, it was used in
a commercial...part of the fund raising effort for Lincoln Center for
the Performing Arts...

Karl