From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 07:51:44 +1100
Deryk Barker asserted:

>I am on record as being an admirere of much "British Light Music".

So am I, but let's stress "much", because some of it I find more than a
little precious.  I was lucky enough to buy a whole swag of the Marco Polo
series in a sale, and they're not to be sneezed at.  My favourite from them
is a little tone poem called St Boniface Down, by Trevor Duncan, which is
very much in the vein of Vaughan Williams' In the Fen Country and Norfolk
Rhapsody.

A number of such pieces I knew from the radio as signature tunes or as
incidental music.  In particular, there was a piece that must have been on
a sound effects record which was always used as "chase music" in radio
serials (that phrase dates me, doesn't it?) and frequently appeared in
Monty Python's Flying Circus.  It turned out to be The Devil's Galop, by
Charles Williams.  The name would mean nothing to most listers, but I'm
sure many would recognise it instantly.

Richard Pennycuick