From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 07:27:21 +1100
I wondered why Vernon Handley's nickname is Tod and called on Google for
help.  I found several sources which told me about the name but not the
reason, and one which included mention of Tod und Verklarung, which I
assume - hope - is unconnected.  I also found that Gramophone is organising
a petition for Handley to be given a knighthood in recognition of his
wonderful services to music.  While there are any number of rogues and
the otherwise undeserving who have been called Sir, there are far more
who have contributed deeds of lasting value.  The concept may be somewhat
alien to some of the list's largely North American membership - we in
Australia discarded it years ago for a different system - but it's the
way in which British citizens are honoured for their achievements, and
I think Handley is certainly a candidate.  You can access the petition
at http://www.gramophone.co.uk/petition.asp?action=send.

Some knights always insist on signing themselves Sir.  I remember Sir
Adrian Boult would occasionally write to Gramophone, but he never used
his title.  I suspect Vernon Handley is cast in the same mould.  And I
still don't know why he's known as Tod.

Richard Pennycuick