From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:44:55 PST
Stephen Heersink wrote:

>Let me explain what I mean by "indelible" and why I think Haydn, as
>great a composer as he is, lacks indelible characteristics.

Stephen went on to note the large body of works Haydn composed, and that he
generally does not instantly recognize a Haydn work.

>This doesn't make Haydn any less significant or enjoyable, but it's
>rare I hear myself or others hum an indelible Haydn melody.

I think much of this has to do with a combination of liking a piece
of music and how familiar the listener is with the music.  When I was
a youngster, I found it easy to recognize some of Haydn's symphonies such
as the "Surprise" and "Clock" symphonies.  I liked them and heard them
frequently; they certainly have melodies that I find easy to remember
instantly.  As an adult, I've grown quite attached to a few of Haydn's
mature piano sonatas; they are indelible as any other works I love.  So,
love + intimacy = instant recognition (or a baby).

Don Satz