From:
Laurence Glavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 17:41:25 -0500
Denis Fodor wrote:

>Why, then, don't some of these concert halls that find themselves catering
>to ever more annuated audiences have their orchestras and music directors
>play programs of movie music-- music, I would add, backdropped by a large
>screen showing the parts of whatever movie the music relates to ...

Several years ago, the Boston Symphony Orchestra played the score
to Prokofieff's "Alexander Nevsky" while the film was displayed on a
screen above the musicians.  It was a very effective performance, and
I understand other orchestras duplicated the feat.  The Boston papers
reported on the tasks that had to be accomplished to get the film and
the music to go together, and the BSO hasn't done it again since.  I
know I'd go again if they did...number one: the music is wonderful...
and number two, the monk playing the portativ organ must have been the
inspiration for similar scenes in the "Monty Python" TV series (the monk
was clothed however).

Laurence Glavin
Methuen, MA