From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:05:00 -0400
Steve Schwartz's commentary and insights are unfailingly informative,
interesting and entertaining.  In the instance below, I believe he also
qualifies as the wqinner of this week's Mimi Ezust word play award.

>>IMO, a better analogy would be with an illustration for an ornithology
>>journal.
>
>That's because we differ as to what Messiaen is really doing.  You think
>he's merely transcribing.  I think he's doing more than that.  Consider
>this one point: birds and pianos are two different instruments; you have
>to do some sort of fiddling to go from one to the other.

I'm delighted to hear Steve trumpet his admiration for a composer I also
admire, even though I don't understand his music well enough to harp on it
myself.

Ed