From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 04:20:31 PDT
Joseph Sowa wrote in response to me:

>>How about a few postings of composers you appreciate?  How about
>>Howard Hanson?
>
>I'm completely amazed that you'd guess on the first try that I like
>Howard Hanson.

Well, I just went to the Archives and read Joseph's recent postings in
sucession (3 of them).  I treated them as a "coherent whole", as if it was
a three-movement symphony, and Howard Hanson's name popped up.  Sorry, I
can't reveal the source of my powers.

>I bet you'd never have guessed I like Selim Palmgren, too.

You would have lost that bet (I'm very competitive).  I made no assumption
that Joseph was unaware of relatively obscure composers whose music would
likely be within his "preferred zone".  I do assume that he's a man with
much to offer.

>>Of Joseph's three recent postings, two have been of the "bashing"
>>variety.
>
>BTW, can't that comment be taken as bashing as well?

To me, bashing is a word and process signifying "criticism without
respect".  I'd appreciate Joseph thinking on this a little: doesn't
stating that a composer's music is mono-emotional signify disrespect for
the composer? If you can't go that far, could you agree that many readers
might well take it as disrespect?

Don Satz