From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 20:50:23 -0400
Richard Pennycuick responds to Virginia Knight:

>>Who's Hurlstone?  A name new to me, unless it's some horribly obvious
>>pun on Purcell or Tippett or someone which I'm being too dim to spot.
>
>William Hurlstone (1876-1906), born and died in London.  Premiered
>his piano concerto but his asthma prevented a career as a pianist.  Became
>professor of counterpoint at RCM.  There was a Lyrita CD of some orchestral
>music and, IIRC, an LP containing his piano concerto.  ...

I had that Lyrita CD for a while (was it orchestral music?  I thought
it was chamber music) but didn't care much for it and eventually sold
it.  I remember almost nothing about it.  For a while, when it was hard
to get Lyrita LPs, that Hurlstone disc seemed to be readily available
at Berkshire and other places.

I have the sheet music to a bassoon work he wrote (a sonata, I believe).
I played with it a bit on trombone, but it didn't do much for me.

I'm afraid I can't contribute much more than that.

Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>