From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:26:49 -0500
Roger Hecht wrote:

>Most overrated composer.
>
>Gustav Mahler.

I'm curious--how would you compare him with Bruckner? I'm doomed to
perpetuate the stereotype that lumps the two together in the back of the
"great symphonies" guides of the 40s--didn't Louis Biancolli write one?
"Essentially boring and long-winded" is what I remember of the collective
opinion.  Having just listened to Furtwaengler's wartime recording of
Bruckner's 9th, I find much to recommend.  Particularly the Adagio (3rd
mvt.) I'm sure the work COULD be boring in the hands of a lesser
conductor--I found it transporting (whatever that means).

Chris Bonds